2011-07-31

How good are your passwords

I just finish a real good read on a hacker. He asked one question that got me to thinking.... Well, he made a few statements that got me to thinking...

A lot of us here on Google, use G for a lot of our data. I am wondering where are the "cloud" servers area if lets say your in the UK, are you covered legally with your data here on a Google server in the US or where ever it is?

I side note: The story says how people are still using passwords like name: backup password: backup even after 20 years. I HOPE your smarter then that. Running a computer shop I see things like that to often. It may be a little hard to remember but I use a few passwords that are randomly generated like (just a fake :-)) ^#d7324f84!9bd That may be a bit much but you get the idea. Think like a hacker to quote the writer. A hacker will get to know you. Find out your kids names/ages husbands/wife stuff like this. Dogs/cats are good info to. I have seen systems using the kids name for a password.... I just cracked your wireless network, because if you did that there, I bet you at the most used a different kids name for that. Use pass codes if you really must. Like mYson48601NOSyM simple but at least a little tricky.


No Operating System is perfect but I will go out on a limb and say Microsoft (and hope MS doesn't sue,heh heh) is the worst. Over the 12 years of running R&T Computers, I have seen a lot of password crackers for MS but 1 (ONE) for Linux systems. If you brought your MS system to me, I can tell you what your password is by putting in a CD/Flash drive and booting it. In about 15 minutes or less. With this program, it doesn't matter how tricky your password is. Since the days of Windows 2000, they have been using the same encryption processes to lock down your password.

Now, with some of the Mac based systems even getting hit, people need to start thinking about what your installing. Ask your self this. "Do I really need this program?" Every program, every time you download something... Every piece of data you put on your computer, no matter what OS your using, has the potential of opening another door for some hacker to walk through and if your lucky just put a bug on your system and not hack your bank account.

For the last few weeks, I have been enjoying the world of Google+. At the moment, there are no businesses, games(Update: games are on now) or bugs (unlike Facebook AKA MS Jr.). Also, I have been getting one of my friends sending tweets to me that has a link to a known spy where site and hes not even sending them.

This is that article that started a post on Google+ and turned into a blog. Getting inside the minds of ethical hackers | IT PRO: http://bit.ly/nR3cOe

No comments:

Post a Comment